Saturday, October 22, 2016

My summer vacation - Part 1

A little late, but here is my report for my August vacation in Quebec.

As usual I was able to find some serious - but very old - snow clearing equipment.

A 4x4 Western Star, complete with 60s era Autocar cab, appears to be on its last legs, but may be fired up if needed this coming winter.

 A classic Sicard Snomaster with its huge blower motor - the real way to clear snow.

 
High speed plow, spreader body and a Cat powered classic Freightliner split window cab. Does the size of the fuel tank drop a hint about how many mpg this rig gets.

It wasn't all old stuff however. I did finally get to see some new Navistar International HX series trucks. These came about as a result of Caterpillar canceling its truck production (which were built by Navistar) and Navistar needing a vocational heavy duty.

I  found this pair at Simard Suspensions in Baie-St-Paul waiting for some modifications - doesn't look like they will go to steering axle.  
Set-back long wheelbase

Shorter wheelbase has a crooked stack.

I haven't seen any of these locally yet - they were just introduced in February - but they are supposed to replace the Paystar. There is a set-forward model too, and can be straight truck or tractor.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment