Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Autonomous Electric Bus

Although autonomous electric buses are operating in various parts of the world, particularly in Europe, but also including such unlikely places as Las Vegas, the first such unit will begin operating in Canada next week.
Sponsored in part by Keolis, the French owners of Quebec's large Orleans bus service, the service will use a Navya shuttle. Navya is also French company, but the actual bus to be used was built in Michigan.


I stumbled across the shuttle doing some "conductor" orientation in Candiac, QC where the unit will run a 2 km pilot project for a few weeks. The attendant, or conductor, will be able to take control of the unit if needed, so some "driver training" was also included.



Watching the unit back up I concluded, that it is no better a driver than I am, even with the aid of a back-up camera. I don't have four wheel steering, but I do have a license plate on my vehicle, so I hope this  unit gets one before venturing out on city streets.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment